Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Learning to live in slow motion, instead of fast forward.

I know for many of us, life has turned into the rush of getting things done, longing for the next phase of life, and for me specifically running in and out of airports all over the world.  Is this really how we were created to live? I don't believe so... 
I have had several moments over the years, where this reality of life has hit me and helped me to adjust my priorities... but only for a season.  I recently had another one of those moments... this one I hope will not allow me to go back into living life in fast forward.  
The morning of Thanksgiving at my parents house in Blissfield, something happened.  It was a typical "vacation" mode morning, everyone slow to wake up and very relaxing. In the midst of that morning, I looked outside the front window and saw my dad working on the van. This was not anything new, however this time it was different.  Everything stopped around me.  All I could see is my dad, down on his knees working. I took in the moment at deeper lever than I usually would have. Instead of a glance, it was a moment that turned into a memory.  Later that week it happened again. I was at New Life Church, the church I was born and raised in.  It was praise and worship time and all the sudden time stopped again. I looked and all around me were faces of people who have helped make me who I am today, but they were aged. They weren't the youthful faces I had remembered them to be.  It was as if God was saying time is passing and life will change.  Some people will be here today and others will not.  
I thank God for this reminder.  The only thing that matters in this world are people and the way we share our lives together.  I guess what I am trying to say is, don't rush through life and turn your potential memories into glances.  Feel it, breath deep and see it all.  No matter where you are in life or what you are doing, live it all in slow motion and stop pressing the fast forward button. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that Laura. It is amazing how fast we get going with life & then the next thing you know your child is "21". Thanks for reminding me to slow down also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it!!! life in Tokyo is CRAZY FAST!!
    thanks for the reminder to enjoy moments and make them memories!! i'll train myself to do that more often!

    xxx Pati

    ReplyDelete